1. Before we begin.
This article will guide end-users through the process of registering an Altia.Identity (AltiaID) to access any Altia Could Services available to them, including Altia Frontline, Altia Verinote and Altia Transcribe. You will learn how to access Altia.Identity, register your account and then use that registration to log in to your Altia Cloud Service. Please note, this article focus on accessing your Altia Cloud Service for the very first time. After registering an AltiaID, your access to the chosen system is seamless and will be discussed at the end of this article.
1.1 What is Altia.Identity?
AltiaID is our highly-secure authentication and access management service. It allows our end users to access, manage, and interact with their chosen Altia products through one credential either created through AltiaID, or your existing work or social account such as Microsoft, Google, AppleID, or as an example, @police.gov.uk. AltiaID adopts the highest security standards when issuing identities, in line with government frameworks and international standards. But if you bring your own, you have the comfort of inheriting your, or your organisation's, security safeguards.
1.2 Where can we use Altia.Identity?
Currently, AltiaID supports Single-Sign-On to Altia Cloud Services; Verinote, Frontline, VeriScript, Transcribe, SmartCase, Platform and ACOS. However, some organisations may have adopted other methods of access control. If you are unsure, reach out to your Altia Account Executive or the organisation's system administrator.
To register for your AltiaID, you will need a few things.
- An active Altia Service Subscription.
- Internet Access.
- And a desktop/laptop computer (no mobile devices in the first instance).
- You will also have to decide if you want to create an Altia.Identity, or simply use your existing identities, such as your Work & School, or Social Identities. We will talk about these options first.
1.4 Identity Types.
An Altia.Identity is an enterprise-grade credential solely for accessing Altia Service(s). This means, you may use your own email address, but you will create a new password, and register for Multi-factor Authentication which will always be separate from any other credentials you have. An Altia.Identity works just like other credentials in the sense you have a username (your email) and password, however, because of Altia's commitment to cybersecurity best practices, such as MFA are enforced.
Altia.Identities may be beneficial if you or your organisation does not have an enterprise credential, or you are making a decision to keep these credentials clearly separate. However, you may consider one of the other options below if you already have an enterprise identity, to avoid having to remember multiple credentials and increase the risk of writing them down or losing them. You should always consult your internal security specialist if you are unsure.
Work & School
Work & School identities are log in details issued generally by Microsoft or other enterprise vendors. They will almost always be an email address provided to you by your employer, that allows you access to your workstation, emails, company information and resources. Work & School accounts, like Steph@police.gov.uk have security controls set by your organisation or the technology provider who issues the on your employer's behalf - like Microsoft.
The benefit of using your Work & School account if you have one is that you do not have to remember another password or username, which means less risk of feeling the need to write the information down. And also, it ensures you are complying with your internal frameworks, as AltiaID will enforce those on your behalf. This may be a requirement of you - so you should check. You or your organisation may wish to keep these separate, in which case you might choose an Altia.Identity.
Social Identities are providers like Apple, Google, Facebook, Slack, and many others. While AltiaID supports only Google currently, it does have the ability to support the others mentioned. These Social Identities are generally issued to individuals and not to enterprise organisations.
We accept there may be some customers using Social Identities, likely as individual users and not part of an organisation or enterprise customer. Users must be mindful of limitations around Social Identities regarding accessing enterprise accounts and also any limitations that may present in legislation, policy or procedure.
2. Registering your Altia.Identity
By now, we are assuming you or your organisation has purchased a licence for an Altia Service and it is time to activate it. Follow these steps to register your account.
2.1 Accessing Altia.Identity to start the registration process.
In any web browser (Chrome, Edge, Safari) from a desktop or laptop (but not a mobile device), visit ID.Altiacloud.com. You will be presented with the below page. While this article focuses on accessing your Altia Service(s) for the first time, this is also where you can access any of your Altia Service(s) moving forward. There are several options on the screen relevant to users who have already registered their identities. Click this button at the bottom of the screen and the registration form will appear, below.
Please note, your login page may look slightly different if your organisation has customised the appearance of the application.
2.2 Choosing a Registration Method
On the Registration Form as displayed on the next image, you have three options for registering your account, in line with the previously discussed Identity Types. We will discuss the Social, Work and School methods first and then creating a new Altia.Identity if required.
2.3 Using your existing Google Account
Sign up with Google Social Accounts or Google Workspace Accounts: If you already use a Google Workspace account to manage other enterprise applications, you may choose to use that account for your Altia Services. Please note: In most instances, access to Altia Service(s) will be restricted to your organisations domain name (e.g., @mycompany.com). If you choose any domain that does not match what has been nominated (regardless of Identity Type), you will not be able to register.
- Click 'Sign up with Google' and you will be redirected to what should be a familiar screen for you to enter your current Google account username, password and any MFA that youraccount is setup to require. Once you have signed into your Google account as normal, you will be re-directed back to Altia.Identity to complete the process (detailed below).
2.4 Using your existing Microsoft Account (Work, Office, Azure)
Sign up with Microsoft Social Accounts or Company Work & School Accounts: This is the most common form of accessing Altia Service(s), as many organisations will have Work accounts attached to Microsoft services. This includes government, enterprise and company email accounts (e.g., Jane@police.gov.uk).If you already use a Microsoft (sometimes referred to as a Microsoft 365, Office or Azure) account to manage other enterprise applications, you may choose to use that account for your Altia Services. Please note: In most instances, access to Altia Service(s) will be restricted to your organisations domain name (e.g., @mycompany.com). If you choose any domain that does not match what has been nominated (regardless of Identity Type), you will not be able to register.
- Click 'Sign up with Microsoft' and you will be redirected to what should be a familiar screen for you to enter your current Work & School account username, password and any MFA that your account is setup to require. Once you have signed into your Microsoft account as normal, you will be re-directed back to Altia.Identity to complete the process (detailed below).
2.5 Creating a Altia.Identity account
Sign up by creating a new Altia.Identity account using your own email address: Users who do not have, or want to use an existing Microsoft or Google account, can create a Altia.Identity account solely for accessing Altia Service(s). Please note: In most instances, access to Altia Service(s) will be restricted to your organisations domain name (e.g., @mycompany.com). If you choose any domain that does not match what has been nominated (regardless of Identity Type), you will not be able to register.
- Altia.Identity: If you wish to create an account using Altia.Identity (and not use a Work, School or Social Identity), simply fill out the following visable fields ABOVE the Microsoft and Google options:
- E-Mail Address: This email address field will be your username, but also the email address where Altia Service(s) will send important notices, password reset information, and will also support various functions within the Altia Service(s) itself.
- Password (and Confirmation): Provide a password that is complex enough to withstand attenpted compromises, but not so complex that you need to write it down. General information on password best practice can be found at Altia's Information and Cybersecurity Shedule.
- First Name: Your First Name
- Surname: Your Surname
- Once you click 'Sign Up', you will be redirected to the below page and eventually, recieve an email with a link to confirm your email address.
- Be sure to check your 'Junk/Spam' Email folder as your security may reject automatically generated emails, especially in first instance. Once you recieve the email, follow the instructions on the email by clicking 'Verify Your Email'. You will be taken to another browser window, being notified of the confirmation and an option to return to the Altia.Identity home page to begin logging into your Altia Service(s).
2.6 Confirming your details (Microsoft and Google account only)
If you registered your account by creating an Altia.Identity, you can skip this step.
If you have registered using your existing Microsoft or Google account, you will be prompted to Confirm your firstname and surname, before clicking 'Save Changes'.
2.7 Registering a Multi-factor Authentication application
If you registered your account through your existing Google or Microsoft account, you can skip this step, as Multi-factor Authentication is managed through your provider.
If you have registered by creating a new Altia.Identity account, you are encouraged to register a Multi-Factor Authentication Application. One example is by using the Microsoft Authenticator application, following the below instructions.
Install the latest version of the Authenticator app, based on your operating system (Apple iOS or Google Android):
- While in the Altia.Identity application, on the left of the page, click 'Security'. You will be taken with the below screen, where you can follow the on-screen instructions to enrol the Multi-Factor Authentication application.
Once you have registered your Multi-Factor Authentication, AltiaID is ready for use for any Connected App made avaiable to you.
3. Accessing your Connected Apps
While still in the Altia.Identity application, on the left of the page, on the left of the page, click 'Connected Apps'. You will be prompted with the below screen, where you can follow the on-screen instructions to enrol the Multi-Factor Authentication application. You will then be able to see any Altia Serice(s) that are avaiable to you, such as Verinote, Frontline, VeriScript, Transcribe or other services, as shown below. Select the application you want to use and you will be directed to that application.
4. Accessing Verinote from Altia.Identity
From the Connected Apps page, click on the Verinote logo. You will be taken to a new window where Verinote will load. You will be taken through the Verinote onboarding process. Ensure you read any terms and conditions displayed are read carefully and accepted if you agree to them, as shown below.
You will be asked to then provide details specific to the Verinote application. Complete the details and follow the prompts to confirm your phone number (by one time passcode), before clicking 'Submit', as picured below.
You are now using Verinote for the first time. Celebrate by creating your first note like we did, below.
Require assistance, contact Altia Support through the below.
By Phone (United Kingdom): +44 (0) 330 808 8600
By Phone (Australia): +61 370 654 120
At our Supprt Portal: portal.altia-abm.com.
By Email: Support@altiaintel.com.